Mar 5, 2010

Out with the Old; In with the New!

Years ago when Andrew and I got married and moved into our first home I joked with him that if he hadn't married me he would have been sitting in a tiny apartment with a nice television resting on a cheap TV tray relaxing in an office chair with his computer next to him again resting on a cheap TV tray. I on the other hand had ample furniture, pretty much everything we would need for our first starter home...errrr...duplex.


For instance, I already had a beautiful bedroom suit made special for me as a graduation gift, when I graduated from A&M. I think it is the prettiest bedroom set in the world and each time I look at I think of the special guy who made it for me!

I come from a family of whittlers, my Dad whittles, Andrew's Dad whittles and my brother-in-law whittles, so pretty much all of my wood whittling wants/needs are met.

My Dad made me that desk before I went off to college.

My brother-in-law made me this table and the other end tables we have. I think he felt indebted to me for the countless hours I spent while in college watching my sweet niece, so he pretty much made me anything I asked for (plus, it didn't hurt my cause that he likes to whittle). What he doesn't know is that the tables were not my reward for watching my niece, those were just a nice benefit, my reward was having been able to spend quality bonding time with my niece and the wonderful bond we have formed because of it.
I inherited those couches from my beloved late Grandma who passed just a few short days after Andrew and I got engaged. She never made it to my ceremony as she had wanted, but I think about her daily as I sit and enjoy coffee, read a book or watch TV while relaxing on my beautiful couches. As long as I could remember visiting my Grandma's house she had those couches, I was born in 1983, so those couches had to have been purchased sometime in the 80's and look at them! I think she had pretty good taste when she picked them out....we won't however, talk about the bright gold couches with tassels that she had in her living room. That coffee table I had from college and refinished it just before we got married with support from a friends sander and again my wood-whittling loving brother in-law. The quilt rack I got as a High School graduation present.

Anyway, I think you get my point: nearly all of the furniture we own, I owned before we got married. This past weekend, as I began to throw around the idea of purchasing a new dining room set my husband was quick to point out something. "Angie" he said. "You always talk about how all the furniture we own was yours before we got married (which is true!)." "Yes" I replied. "But, you never bought a single piece of this furniture, all of it was either built, given or acquired in some way."

I had never thought about it before, be he is right! I have never actually purchased a piece of furniture before. Now, if you know me this will not come as a shock to you because I am...now, how is a nice way to say this.....frugal...aka...cheap! I am a penny pinching, sale finding, frugal woman, and proud of it! So once we had found a table that we both loved, of course I got cold feet and didn't want to spend that much money and tried to talk Andrew out of buying it. But alas, my husband with great judgment looked at me and said, "Angie, I knew you were going to get cold feet, so I came prepared today to buy this table without your full approval, because I know that you love this table and secretly want it but would never actually purchase it."

Before - The dining room table acquired from college, which in fairness has served us quite well and has miraculously fit in every tiny "dining" area we have been forced to place it. (that hope chest...also given to me by my Grandma, probably my single favorite piece of furniture I own)


After - Our first piece of purchased furniture. I love it and think it is going to match with all of our stuff perfectly!


I love it and secretly want the matching buffet, but we all know that I will never go buy it so I will just continue to dream about it and think, "what if....."

No comments:

Post a Comment