Mar 22, 2010

French pottery, wine, pastries and other delicious things.


Andrew and I went to France this past weekend!!!! It was fabulous and I am pretty sure I have caught the travel bug!

First we went pottery shopping and got to see how French pottery is made. We were able to take a tour of a pottery shop in Soufflenheim, one of the original families that were granted rights to the clay by Barbarossa in the Alsatian region.

I bought this piece, it is pretty much a dutch oven but is called a Baeckeoffe oven. I love this piece and can't wait to use it!!!!

We then went to the village of Wissembourg. I charming town in the Alsace region of France. Here we toured the town, some of which were remains from the 1300s, ate, ate some more and drank a glass or two of French wine! (It is my goal to visit every wine region in France.....up next, the Champagne region?????)

I am a foodie. I have mentioned this before, but pretty much every trip or place I visit revolves around food. So without further ado, here is the food portion (and what I believe to be the most important part of any trip)! For lunch, I had a regional favorite Sauerkraut and sausage/ham and Andrew had Baeckeoffe. The French make their Sauerkraut from cabbage marinated in white wine, while Germans marinade cabbage in vinegar to make their sauerkraut. I am a good little German girl so I enjoy a good bowl of traditional German sauerkraut but I have to say the French version, was quite delicate and delicious!

After visiting the beauty and splendor of Wissembourg, we went to Cleebourg winery and tasted a great variety of Alsatian wines.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds fun! I so want to take a trip to Napa and tour the wine country here...I love that dutch oven, way prettier than my cast iron one!

    ReplyDelete