Sep 9, 2009

Its the most wonderful time of the year.....

Its the most wonderful time of the year! Aggie football, the 12th Man, march-ins, beer, brats and the Fightin' Texas Aggie spirit. Saturday was bitter sweet for me. I always look forward to the beginning of college football, even though the prospects for a winning season are generally less than favorable. There is something about waking up on a Saturday morning, turning on Sports Center... (which we don't currently get) but allow me to fantasize here.....listening to crazy Lee Corso, popping open a beer and doing absolutely nothing but watch college football. Yes, watching the NFL on Sundays is fun too, but it just doesn't have the same aura and spirit that the college game provides. This season will be the first that I won't be there to partake in the game day festivities. No march-ins, no victory yell, no standing in the hot sun waving my 12th man towel, no seeing old friends of yore and no beer at the Dixie Chicken. Now my Aggie football festivities involve siting around the computer listening to the Aggie game broadcast while watching the ridiculous animation that is on the Aggie Athletics website, but hey, that's what we do......

My heart was heavy as I knew that so many of my friends and family were in College Station doing exactly what I wish I had been doing. The highlight of my day was when my 7 year old niece, Makayla called me from march-in so I could hear the Aggie Band march down Joe Route. I waited in anticipation all day of that phone call so Andrew and I could have just a small glimmer of the Aggie spirit. Unfortunately, just as the band was marching by when I would be able to hear, the connection dropped and by the time I called her back the band had already passed. =( Sad as I was to have missed hearing the Aggie band, I could hear the band in my head and could feel the Aggie spirit thousands of miles and many states away. There truly is a spirit that can ne'er be told; but believe me (and all of my non-Aggie friends can a test to this) I try! And though I am sure many of them would never admit it, I am pretty sure that I have made believers out of most of them!

BTHO Utah State

No comments:

Post a Comment