Jan 30, 2010

Smart Security Saves Time????

As most of you probably know, I have began my journey across the world via a short stay in Richmond, Virginia and Atlanta, Georgia. In two days I was on 4 separate flights and conquered the mass chaos of 4 different airports created by overzealous engineers who for some reason can not figure out an easier way to design airports...but I digress.

My husband and I for reasons unbeknown to myself GREATLY over packed for our holiday travels (lengthy as my stay was I doubt that I really needed 7 different t-shirts and 2 long-sleeved t-shirts!). On top of my poorly executed packing, we also received Christmas gifts and acquired other random items during our 43 day stint of homelessness. Fortunately, for myself we got an entire new luggage set as a Christmas present from Andrew's parents so we now own quality luggage with 4-point wheels...they are really awesome. In spite of the luggage's awesomeness and massive size all of our stuff simply did not fit. To facilitate more things fitting in my luggage I got very clever with my packing and put small things like cords/socks/gloves/jewelry in side of my 10 (YES 10!) different pair of shoes. In addition, I had random Christmas presents to pack: 4 different cooking thermometers (a probe, 2 regular meet thermometers, and a candy/frying thermometer), a pastry blender, a Texas shaped platter, matching TX cups and a cookie scoop.

Now, I am sure that these things must have looked rather odd to the TSA personnel screening my checked baggage, so it was no surprise to me when I got to Atlanta, opened my bags and saw the notice from the TSA that my baggage was inspected. What did surprise me was the TSA's catchphrase that was printed on the bottom of said notice, "Smart Security Saves Time".

Saves time????? HOW??? How does all this security save me time???? Don't get me wrong I am pleased that they checked my luggage...after all there was plenty of odd items in my baggage and I hope that they thoroughly check all odd baggage items they find. I feel just fine with them rummaging through my stuff, Joe the plumber's stuff, granny's stuff, Alli Baba's stuff, Cpt. Fair's stuff and any other person's baggage that may contain suspicious items.

But, lets re-think our marketing slogan? I was no marketing major but, I can come up with several better slogans than smart security saves time! How about "Smart Security Saves LIVES!"

Dear TSA,

Please chose a better slogan!

Love,

Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment