Aug 27, 2009

Guten Tag.....again.

Hello Again! So as it turns out I am very bad at blogging.....

While I was away something major happened. We found out that we are PCSing (moving) to Baumholder, Germany. And to be perfectly honest I am still a little freaked out about it. I know, I know....we put Germany first on our list of places to go next....but here is the thing I didn't think that we would actually get it! After all everybody puts Germany down first and considering that there were only like 2 spots, the thought of us actually getting it was foreign to me. Out of our top 5 places on our list, it was the only place I didn't research. I was confident we were going to Ft. Irwin, CA!!! But alas, the orders came in and SURPRISE.......Germany!

I must admit, I was not very pulled together after we read the orders. But, as every little sister knows you can always call your older (and thus much wiser) sisters crying for solace, that's the great thing about being the little sister! I knew I had to pull it together before calling my Mom because I worried she would cry and as any Mom would of course she cried which made me cry that much more......and then came the ice cream and the promise that if I was moving, far, far, far away from TX and the US I was definitely getting a BMW out of this!!!

After one week and hours upon hours of research, aside from remembering the name of the place we are going I have learned absolutely nothing more. Apparently nobody knows anything about Germany before you go...everything (like say where you are going to live) just falls together once you are there. Thankfully, I have met a dear sweet friend who just moved to Ft. Lee FROM Germany and she is starting to fill me in on all the craziness.

Like for instance.....
Most of your appliances wont work their because Europe's electrical system works on a 220W while American electronics run on 120W. So you have to use transformers and converters...still a little confusing.

In Germany they do not bill you every month for electricity...the bill will just show up one day and BAM you will owe 6 months or a years worth of bills.

Phone capabilities are way different there. Apparently there are only 2 main cell carriers, and you can not call one company from the other without exorbitant charges...GREAT! I am going to start looking into some different phone options that Jill brought up like Vonage...anybody know anything about it????

Finally....and now this is the kicker.....most bedrooms in Germany DO NOT have closets!!!! AHHHHHHHHHH What am I going to do with all my shoes????? Apparently they are taxed by how many bedrooms are in a house and the definition of a bedroom includes a closet, thus no closet....no taxes. Crazy right????!!! People use clothes lockers that the military gives you...whatever that means. If anybody is reading and wants to build me an armoir...that would be great.


So here is where we are headed:
www.baumholder.army.mil/sites/local/

In Western Germany near France and Luxembourg.


Thats if for now,
Auf Weidersehen

No comments:

Post a Comment