Sep 8, 2010

Designer Kitchen

Making cookies in my teenie-tiny, essentially counterless kitchen makes me daydream about the GIGANTIC kitchen my husband owes me someday.  After following him around all over the world and cooking out of essentially non-existent kitchens, we have an agreement that when we buy a home it will basically consist of a giant kitchen, with a relatively decent sized bathroom...the rest of the house I couldn't care less about!  I don't care if it even has a living room at all....throw a reclining chair and a tv in the kitchen and you basically have the perfect room!  Afterall, when you have a get together where do all the people end up?  In the kitchen!  So you may as well make it HUGE and comfortable! 

My current kitchen, basically no counterspace at all and limited cabinet space.  I joke with Andrew that when I have a big pregnant belly we won't both fit in there.
Kitchen before we were here, better than our current kitchen, but trust me that kitchen looks MUCH bigger in that picture than it actually was...Andrew and I could barely be in there at the same time!


I don't have any pictures of our first kitchen but it was also small.  Definitely the best of the 3 in terms of cabinet/pantry and counterspace ratio but it certainly was NOT great!  I find myself missing that tiny little Wind Ct. kitchen these days....which tells you just how bad off I really am!

Just a few reasons why American kitchens SIGNIFICANTLY out rank German ones.

#1 - Limited cabinet space.  We had to buy this little doodad and it is packed tight, full of items that didn't fit anywhere not to mention the lot of items that are in the laundry room/storage room downstairs!
#2 - No counterspace!  Really I have zero counterspace in this kitchen.

#3 - Tiny refridgerators!  See that middle compartment that is standing up?  That is a standard German fridge, in America we call that a beer fridge and we outgrow it when we leave college!  In the above picture you can see that the Government lent us an American sized fridge, fortunately.  Which leads me to point....

#4 - No pantry!  I use that tiny dorm fridge as our pantry now....how ridiculous is that???

#5 - Tiny Ovens!  None of my sheet pans fit and it makes me soooooo sad b/c I think my Williams-Sonoma sheet pans make the BEST cookies of all time and sadly they are in a box in the garage :(

 #6 - No closet to store the plethora of recycling bins you need to sort your trash.

#7 - The ridiculously small German sinks that are one sided.  I think it may be the dumbest thing ever!  It is so hard to handwash dishes with only one side available, so difficult and needless!

2 comments:

  1. Love this little tour of your kitchen. I would totally have all the same gripes about it that you do! Someday we'll both have our giant, designer, state-of-the-art kitchens!

    ReplyDelete