Sep 9, 2010

The beautiful pregnancy myth

I am 26 weeks pregnant now, that means I am about a week away from beginning the 3rd trimester and I think I have finally reached the 'good' part of pregnancy that everybody talks so much about!  Up until now, I must admit that I was starting to hold a little grudge against women everywhere for labeling pregnancy as this 'beautiful, wonderful' thing and conveniently neglecting to mention the true 'beauties' behind pregnancy!

So here it is, the truth behind the beautiful pregnancy myth......

Pregnancy is not glamorous!  The end product of pregnancy is (will be) beautiful and wonderful and I can't wait (OK, I can wait approximately 14 more weeks)!  But the whole pregnancy thing in and of itself is not necessarily all fun and games like the world portrays it.  The first 20 weeks, I couldn't stand the sight of chocolate (can you imagine such an atrocity???) or meat, or food in general.  My body decided to emit odors that were unstoppable by deoderant that wasn't prescription strength.  My hair and face were greasier than a pepperoni pizza....I'm guessing that's the pregnancy 'glow' everyone speaks of...the shine of sunlight  glimmering off the grease harbored on my face!  For several weeks my lower back and hips hurt so badly that I actually thought I may have broken my tailbone.  Then there are the leg cramps that wake you up at night and of course the potty break at midnight, 0300 and 0500!  And I probably shouldn't neglect to mention the hormones that make you cry about things you normally would laugh at, like the fact that nothing fits good!  For approximately 2 months there is this interim period where you are too oddly shapen for your regular clothes but not oddly shapen enough for maternity clothes.  I am still in this phase.  My regular jeans still fit but my normal tops look akward and tight but maternity shirts hang off of me.  I feel like everybody is looking at me wondering if I have a beer belly or if I am pregnant.  I need a shirt that says, "I'm in that is she pregnant or is she fat phase!"

Of course then there is that slight fluttering you feel every couple of hours that reminds you that there is a real human being growing inside of you.  The sheer joy of watching your stomach bounce around while sitting on the couch watching tv as my little one practices her karate!  And the ultrasound appointments where you can get a sneak peek at that adorable little nose and those precious little toes.  And you can't forget about the monthly appointments when you get to hear the thumping heartbeat that makes your own heart beat with delight.  WAIT a minute....I think the 'good' part of pregnancy has already made me forget the multitude of umpleasantries.  Apparently, pregnancy also makes your memory fuzzy....don't say I didn't tell you so!

2 comments:

  1. LOL! Thanks for the birth control post, Ang!! :) I'm so excited for you and can't wait to see your growing belly in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's insane just how easily you forget how miserable pregnancy really is. But it is ALL worth it!

    ReplyDelete